Restaurants that serve seasonal rock lobster:
Outlets for King Island products for self-catering:
- KI Bakehouse sells locally made breads, cakes and pies. They also sell local chutneys. Possibly the only place in the world that sells crayfish pie!
- Marie's in Grassy is a convenience store with a small cafe, famous for homemade pies, pasties and meals to eat in or takeaway. They also carry Grassy Gourmet icecream, something 'to die for'.
- Currie supermarkets, KI IGA and KI Foodworks, carry King Island's water, Cloud Juice, cheese from the renowned KI Dairy, honey, beef, lamb chops and a range of speciality sausages. Locally grown apples, pears, strawberries and blue berries are available in season.
- KI Foodworks has a range of King Island Produce hampers for a picnic or BBQ or to take home. 2 hours notice required or for crayfish book 24 hours ahead.
- KI IGA sells King Island rock lobster already cooked- order before 5pm for pickup the following day at lunchtime. Some frozen ones are kept for unplanned feasts. King Island oysters can be purchased at the King Island IGA on a Thursday when in season. Fresh Tasmanian Fish is advertised in the window on Wednesday when available.
- The KI Club takes orders for cooked rock lobster, order the day before required.
- KI Seafoods sells fresh oysters, scale fish and wholesale rock lobster, 10 kg minimum order, cooked or uncooked. Call Max or Donna 1 day before order required.
- To completely self-cater, grab a recreational sea fishing licence for abalone and rock lobster.
- Russell's Butchery carries a wide range of King Island meat. The T-bone steaks are renowned at Russell's and you might also get a great tip for next race day.
- Visit Paul or Cynthia Daniel at 13 Shaw Street between 1and 6 pm to pick up some fresh lettuce, tomatoes and other fruit and vegetables (seasonal) from their Camp Creek Market Garden.
- Taste a bouquet of floral King Island in the cold pressed honey, from various outlets.
- Allow for an afternoon visit to the Fromagerie at the KI Dairy, about 10 minutes north of Currie. Try each and every cheese in the tasting room, watch the video, succumb to the temptation of their gourmet yoghurts and creme desserts, they're truly wonderful.
King Island Tourism Inc
1800 645 014
Currie Heritage Harbourside Walk
Shannon Shipwreck Walk
Penny's Lagoon Loop Walk
Cape Wickham to Victoria Cove
Cataraqui Shipwreck Memorial
Calcified Forest Walk
Copperhead Cliffs Walk
Naracoopa Jetty to Fraser Bluff
Grassy Township to Sandblow Point